Marquise Brown, also known as “Hollywood,” had an impressive rookie season with the Baltimore Ravens in 2019. Despite being a first-round draft pick, many people doubted his abilities due to his small stature and injury history. However, Brown proved all of his critics wrong and emerged as one of the top rookies in the NFL. In this article, we will take a closer look at Marquise Brown’s rookie season and how he exceeded all expectations.
Introduction to Marquise Brown’s Rookie Season
Marquise Brown was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft. The speedy wide receiver from Oklahoma University was expected to make an immediate impact for the Ravens, but many questioned if he could live up to the high expectations. At only 5’9″ and 170 pounds, Brown was considered undersized for an NFL receiver and concerns were raised about his ability to stay healthy in such a physically demanding league. However, Brown proved to be more than capable of handling the challenges of the NFL and his rookie season was nothing short of spectacular.
Breaking Down Brown’s Performance
Explosive Playmaker on the Field
From the very start of the season, it was clear that Marquise Brown was a playmaker. He quickly established himself as the number one receiver for the Ravens and became a favorite target for quarterback Lamar Jackson. In his first game, Brown recorded four catches for 147 yards and two touchdowns, showing off his blazing speed and precise route running skills. He continued to impress throughout the season, finishing with 46 receptions for 584 yards and seven touchdowns in just 14 games.
Brown’s performance on the field was not only impressive, but it also broke records. In Week 1, he became the first player in NFL history to record over 100 receiving yards and two touchdowns in his debut game. He also became the first player in Ravens franchise history to score two touchdowns in his first two games. Brown’s explosive speed allowed him to break away from defenders and make big plays, earning him a reputation as one of the most exciting rookies in the league.
Tips on How to Use Marquise Brown’s Rookie Season
- Utilize Brown’s Speed: One of Brown’s biggest strengths is his speed. As a fantasy football manager or coach, it’s important to use him in ways that will maximize this asset. Use him for deep passes, jet sweeps, and end-arounds to take advantage of his quickness.
- Target Him Early: Brown established himself as a top target for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens early in the season. If you have Brown on your fantasy team, consider using him as a starter or flex option to capitalize on his chemistry with Jackson.
- Don’t Be Afraid of His Size: Despite concerns about his small stature, Brown has proven that he can compete with bigger, more physical defenders in the NFL. Don’t let his size deter you from drafting or starting him on your fantasy team.
Examples of Brown’s Impact on the Ravens’ Offense
- Opening Up the Run Game: Brown’s presence on the field opened up running lanes for Lamar Jackson and the Ravens’ dynamic rushing attack. Defenders had to respect Brown’s speed and cover him deep, giving the offense more room to operate.
- Creating Mismatches: Brown’s speed and route running ability created mismatches all over the field. He often drew double coverage, which opened up opportunities for other receivers and tight ends.
- Providing a Deep Threat: Brown’s ability to stretch the field with his speed gave the Ravens a deep threat they were lacking in previous seasons. This forced defenses to play honest and not stack the box against the run.
Comparing Brown to Other Rookie Seasons
Marquise Brown’s rookie season has been compared to other impressive rookie performances, including those of Randy Moss and Odell Beckham Jr. in terms of impact on the field and record-breaking numbers. However, what sets Brown apart is his ability to overcome doubts about his size and injury history and make an immediate impact for his team.
Advice for Brown’s Future Success
- Stay Healthy: Brown’s size may always be a concern for some, but his ability to stay healthy will be crucial for his future success in the NFL. Taking care of his body and avoiding unnecessary risks will help him have a long and productive career.
- Continue to Develop Chemistry with Jackson: Brown and Lamar Jackson have already established a strong connection on the field, but they should continue to work on their chemistry to become one of the most dynamic quarterback-receiver duos in the league.
- Keep Improving: Despite a stellar rookie season, there is always room for improvement. Brown should continue to work on his route running and build his strength to become an even more dominant receiver in the NFL.
Frequently Asked Questions
How did Marquise Brown excel despite his small stature?
While many doubted Brown’s abilities due to his size, he used his speed and precise route running skills to create separation from defenders and make big plays.
What records did Marquise Brown break during his rookie season?
In his debut game, Brown became the first player in NFL history to record over 100 receiving yards and two touchdowns. He also became the first player in Ravens franchise history to score two touchdowns in his first two games.
Is Marquise Brown considered undersized for an NFL receiver?
At only 5’9″ and 170 pounds, Brown is smaller than the average NFL receiver. However, his performance on the field has proven that size does not determine success in the league.
What impact did Brown have on the Ravens’ offense?
Brown’s presence on the field opened up running lanes for Lamar Jackson and the rushing attack, created mismatches for other receivers, and provided a deep threat that the Ravens had been lacking in previous seasons.
What advice do you have for Marquise Brown’s future success?
To continue to stay healthy, develop chemistry with Lamar Jackson, and keep improving his skills as a receiver.
Conclusion: A Bright Future Ahead for Marquise Brown
Marquise Brown’s rookie season was nothing short of exceptional. He exceeded all expectations and proved that he is a force to be reckoned with in the NFL. Despite concerns about his size, Brown has shown that he has what it takes to succeed at the highest level. With his speed, skill, and determination, there is no doubt that Hollywood will continue to shine bright in the years to come.
Find all your favorite Arizona Cardinals gear at the official Arizona Cardinals Merchandise store. Suit up like your favorite players with the stylish Dante Stills Jersey, or make a vibrant statement on game day with the Arizona Cardinals Color Rush Jersey. Show your support for emerging talents with the sleek Trey McBride Jersey and the robust Hjalte Froholdt Jersey. Pay homage to the legends with the classic Conrad Dobler Jersey and the timeless Darnell Dockett Jersey. For fans of the Cardinals’ history, the Roger Wehrli Jersey is a must-have. Don’t forget about your four-legged friend; they can show team spirit too with an adorable Arizona Cardinals Dog Jersey. With a wide selection of jerseys including the Jeff Smith Jersey and Bernhard Seikovits Cardinals gear, we have everything for Cardinals fans of all ages!